Saturday, August 24, 2013

Ashtanga - Primary Series - Practice


Ashtanga - Primary Series - Practice
The past two weeks, I have focused on the Primary Series. Haven't done it - consistently - for a while. Wanted to get back into it - really missed it. It was so hard to do in the beginning years ago when I first started to practice. My body and system did not like all the forward bends. It really effected me - and not in a good way. I remember how I would not be able to do ALL of the postures. It took years upon years of practice to get me to a point of feeling good in the practice.

But it came at a price. I mangled my body and stressed it out just by working into the postures.

I have a very sensitive system - even my bodyworker whether it is a chiropractor/thai massage/SOT therapist, says that my body has extreme reactions to adjustments. In other words, the work that I do in my practice can really set off a chain reaction of pain. Shoulder pain, back pain. Stiff neck and back. Sore hips and aching legs. So I had to lay off for a while.

Now - it's all back. The shoulder pain especially. It's because my right shoulder leans more into the forward bends and it puts it out every time. Even when I am totally conscious of it.

That's a part of the practice then isn't it. The physical practice is easier - I know the postures I can get into easily, I know the postures I can get into with some effort, and I know the postures, for my body's sack, I shouldn't push. It is a part of the practice to know these things.

I need to work like this for a while and let my body slowly work out the kinks again.

I know that if I were in Mysore practice I would try to push myself too much - spurred on by the energy of the room. Although I really love that - being with all those people. It has never served me.

Today I practice quietly in my home - I've got a great little spot - breathing and working through the aches in my body with a clear and calm mind. I do not push. I listen and learn. And I love every minute of it!

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment